[fdo-internals] How to get the four corners from a (raster data type) Feature

Alfredo Muela-Romero alfredo.muela at pds.nl
Wed Apr 10 03:20:09 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Given a Feature class (in particular a raster data one, although I guess it
can be generalized), I am trying to figure out the four corners (assuming
same "z"-dimension).

The approach is to execute a SQL command to retrieve MINX, MINY, MIZ, MAXX,
MAXY, MAXZ from SDE.LAYERS with the appropriate owner and table. From those
two coordinates that the z-dimension equality can be checked and the 4
corners defined.

With that approach I get the expected values... usually. In other words,
there are some features when the values from the query are hugely
different. In order to validate the results, I use ArcCatalog to compare
the Top, Left, Right and Bottom values from the Extent property.

My questions are:
  - can anyone shed some light on why is that happening?
  - should I use a different approach to get this information?

Many thanks,
Alfredo.