[fdo-users] RE: RE: Conditional "IF" in Expressions

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Wed Jul 18 11:11:09 EDT 2007

Hi Traian,

Actually, labeling via conditional expressions was just a lightweight
example of their use, but thanks for the tip and the source anyways. I was
thinking to using them to build provider-neutral function defintions and
gain better access to calculated property values, i.e.:

- Height of a Building is calculated using formula NumberOfFloors * 3.5
- but, if Building has RoofType of 1 (it's not flat), then overall Height is
increased by 2.5

if(Bulding.RoofType=1,Building.NumberOfFloors*3.5+2.5,Building.NumberOfFloors*3.5)

So, function IF has three parameters: A (which is always Boolean, and
evaluates to either True or False), and also B and C that actually get
returned as a result, depending on evaluated A. Using state machine it's
possible to create branching of any depth. Parameters B and C need to be of
the same type, since function returns exactly that type.

As Orest proposed, one of possible conditional function definitions would
look like:

int32 = if(boolean, int32, int32)

or

string = if(boolean, string, string)

etc.

Possiblity of using conditional branching within defined expression is
something just very handy thing.

Regards,
Maksim Sestic