[fdo-users] installing FDO prebuilt binaries

Jason S jsachs at dekaresearch.com
Sun Nov 25 18:28:51 EST 2007

Hello there--

I am trying to do some programming to manipulate some geometric data. I am
running WinXP and have MySQL  5.1.17 and VC++ 6.0 (I am in the process of
upgrading to Visual Studio 2005... long story :/ ). I have a moderate amount
of experience w/ C++ and COM/ActiveX.

What I would like to do is to know how to read polygons from my MySQL
database (I have a table of all the New Hampshire towns with their
boundaries stored in a spatial column in MySQL's geometry format & can
presently read it out as WKB/WKT or do simple queries via MySQL) and do some
computation on them programmatically.

But I can't figure out how to start w/ FDO.

I downloaded the prebuilt binaries to FDO 3.2.3
(http://fdo.osgeo.org/downloads.html#3.2.3_win_binaries) and have been
running around in circles for the past hour trying to figure out how to use
them. The "FDO Essentials" doc doesn't say anything about how to install, it
just refers to http://fdo.osgeo.org/documentation.html which has a bunch of
stuff about building FDO from the source code but not to do once you have
the library built. The prebuilt zipped-up binaries
fdosdk-3.2.3_win32_release.tar.gz doesn't have any readme file. The best I
can figure out from the directory structure (lib/bin/inc) is that it's a
bunch of plain dll's (as opposed to in-process COM server dll's that you
have to install) with import libraries in the lib directory and C++ include
files in the inc directory.

Aren't there any example projects or tutorials or instructions for how to
actually use the FDO binaries in a simple C++ project?

I was hoping to find something that was an open-source implementation of the
OLE/COM interfaces mentioned in the OpenGIS spec. I just want to use
something to either access the MySQL database directly or if I get the WKB
data, create a C++ or COM Polygon object so that I can get X/Y point data
and maybe some functions for getting bounding boxes & stuff.

please help!