[fdo-users] RE: RE: RE: Unicode (nvarchar) support for MS SQL Server

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Sat Sep 15 11:08:49 EDT 2007

Brad,

Although I'm using Autodesk Map 3D 2007 platform, I do not use neither Map's
libraries nor tools to create/access schemas, perform entity
checkin/checkout, stylization, etc. I developed my own set of tools and
functions to do that apart of Map's engine, using either Autodesk's or OSGeo
(native) FDO 3.2 providers available. Neverthless, my meta-model is fully
compatible with Map's.

As far as I can see, Map's MS SQL provider is responsible for this Unicode
problem. I'm new to MS SQL. Frankly, I don't want to mess with RDBMS layer
since it's FDO's business after all :-) Obviously, someone (for some reason)
decided to map String type to MS SQL's varchar type instead of nvarchar.
Now, despite the fact that Autodesk finally supports Unicode - I still can't
use it due to Autodesk's MS SQL FDO provider implementation decision. Bah
:-)

Regards,
Maksim Sestic