[fdo-users] RE: RE: RE: RE: Unicode (nvarchar) support for MS SQL Server

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Mon Sep 17 04:29:22 EDT 2007

Brad,

You're right. As far as I can see, there are two solutions to this (both
maintained by FDO):

1) Introduce an extra parameter to DataStore Create command to let users
decide whether strings get stored as Unicode or non-Unicode (non-Unicode =
default RDBMS setting). Then add appropriate Capability property to test
whether datastore supports Unicode at all.

2) Let users explicitly set FdoType-to-RdbmsType mapping. I guess this one
is hard to implement by both FDO core and providers, and doesn't seem viable
solution. It actually breaks FDO abstraction guidelines.

Regards,
Maksim Sestic