[fdo-users] PostGIS FDO Provider performance issues

Carl Jokl carl.jokl at keynetix.com
Wed Jun 11 03:16:26 EDT 2008

In order to try and get a better idea about what was going on on the database
I altered the configuration to log a lot more information about what was
happening as the query ran. A cursor is created on the server and data seems
to be retrieved from that cursor in batches of 500 with 200,000 items in
total. The actual retrievals themseves according to the log are pretty fast
maybe a matter of 10 -20ms which should not account for the 4-5 minute total
time. The more substantial delay seems to be between calls to retrieve
batches which again points to the FDO provider because it may be doing lots
of processing while the database is already ready to send the next batch but
has to wait for the provider to request it.

I have not set the batch sizes. I have not even been able to set the
connection as read only. The problem is that this broker has come to me from
a colleague who got it from some Autodesk employee at a Disneyland
conference. The broker is just a DLL without any documentation to go with it
which isn't exacly making life easy for me. I know that the alpha version of
the same broker is supposed to be on the FDO servers somewhere though in
somewhere hard to find. I hoped I might find the documentation for the Alpha
broker and then at least now what parameters I have available to me to set
on the FDO connection. At the moment I am even considering trying to
decompile the dll to try and reverse engineer what parameters are available.