[fdo-users] How to get feature class extent

Dan Stoica dan.stoica at autodesk.com
Thu May 22 09:50:30 EDT 2008

Yes, is the SpatialExtent() aggregate function.

This function has been optimized for many providers in order to avoid brute force calculation (i.e. full geometries scan).
Each provider has its specifics so the optimizations are different. I can provide more details if needed.

The spatial context is useless for another reason: it doesn't give you the exact extent. For example, in Lat/Long it is common to set the extents to [(-180, -90) (180, 90)].

Dan.