[fdo-users] Questions about advanced schema elements

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 04:59:04 EST 2009

Hi All,

I'm currently working on making the FDO Toolbox schema designer become a
full-blown editor that can edit all aspects of the FDO feature schema. I've
got some questions on some of the more advanced schema elements.

Association Properties:
----------------------

1) Is it possible to have an auto-generated data property in a identity /
reverse-identity collection of an association property? I have problems
persisting feature schemas with such a property. The schema unit tests sort
of hint that this is not possible, but I'd like an official answer on this
matter.

2) Is there any way to interact with Association Properties in
FdoIFeatureReader and FdoIInsert / FdoIUpdate / FdoIDelete?

Object Properties:
-----------------

1) Is there any mechanism to govern what features from the referenced class
definition will be returned?

For example, say I have 2 classes:

Foo:
  - FeatId (identity)
  - MyObj
Bar:
  - FeatId (identity)
  - String1
  - String2

Foo.MyObj is the Object Property that references the class Bar. If I were to
run an FdoISelect command against the class Foo, what gets returned when I
call FdoIFeatureReader.GetFeatureObject("MyObj") ?

- If ObjectType of the MyObj property is collection: All the features from
Bar?
- If ObjectType of the MyObj property is Value: I'm guessing only one
feature from Bar, but how/which???

2) Is there any way of working with Object Properties through FdoIInsert /
FdoIUpdate / FdoIDelete?

Inheritance:

1) Can base-class properties be specified for a FdoISelect command?

2) Is executing an FdoISelect command against an abstract class definition
allowed?

3) Does a derived class definition require identity properties if its parent
class has one or more defined?

4) Similarly, can a derived feature class use (one of) it's parent's
geometry property as its designated Geometry Property?

Regards,

- Jackie