[fdo-users] FDO Compile error (libxalan-c)

john spitzer john.spitzer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 01:49:23 EDT 2009

Hi,
When building FDO from source on Ubuntu I got the following g++
compile time issue:
g++ -O2 -DNDEBUG      -fno-elide-constructors -Wall -fPIC -DLINUX
-D_REENTRANT -DXALAN_INMEM_MSG_LOADER -c
-I/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src
-I/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/include
-I../../nls/include
-I/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xerces/c/src/
-I/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xerces/c/include/xercesc
-I/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xerces/c/include/  -o
../../obj/XalanDOMString.o
/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp
/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:
In member function ‘xalanc_1_7::XalanDOMString&
xalanc_1_7::XalanDOMString::assign(const xalanc_1_7::XalanDOMString&,
size_t, size_t)’:
/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:281:
error: ‘memmove’ is not a member of ‘std’
/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:
In static member function ‘static size_t
xalanc_1_7::XalanDOMString::length(const char*)’:
/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:825:
error: ‘strlen’ is not a member of ‘std’
/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:
In function ‘bool xalanc_1_7::doTranscodeFromLocalCodePage(const
char*, size_t, bool, xalanc_1_7::XalanDOMCharVectorType&, bool)’:
/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:1154:
error: ‘strncpy’ is not a member of ‘std’
make[1]: *** [../../obj/XalanDOMString.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This was fixed by including in the source of
/home/jjs/OpenSource_FDO/Thirdparty/apache/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp
the following include directive :

#include <cstring>

There are quite a few cases where this is necessary to achieve a clean
compile of xml-xalan.
gcc/g++ is the standard compiler on Linux.
The passage of environment variables between shell script is a famous
Unix gotcha. I did not bother to Google it, but you can give it a try
to get some background on this issue.
What really causes most grief in migrating systems developed under
Windows onto Unix is case-sensitivites of system names(File names etc)
- windows is case insensitive while unix is case sensitive.

Hope this is of some assistance,
Cheers,
John