[fdo-users] Re: arcsde connection

Brad Nesom kidsmake6 at msn.com
Tue May 4 10:28:27 EDT 2010

Thank you all for the attention to my problem.
 I already had accomplished all the suggestions made. It seems as though
when the sde: or sde:sqlserver: is added to the front of the instance name
the security is circumvented. If I add either one. and then go to login I
can type in "any" username/password combination and I don't get an error. It
returns to the connection screen and shows the datastore empty. If I remove
the sde: then "ANY" combination of the correct username/password returns an
error: "The specified credentials ar not valid or the provider is unable to
establish a connection".
As I said placing sde:sqlserver: in the instance name causes a successful
login (every time) but the datastore is not populated. If I type in my
datastore name and hit connect I get an error message dialog from map.
"failed to open fdo connection, failed to open ArcSDE connection, the file
path des not exist, or it is too long (> 512 chars), or has invalid
characters. (-269). I have seen this and noticed that the datastore name
cannot have a - (dash) in it. Could this apply to the machine name also? Our
IT dept has the computer name set to domain-assetnumber. Mine being
Hiland-FPS93M1.
Thanks again for any help provided.
Brad

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Jackie Ng <jumpinjackie at gmail.com> wrote:

> The ArcSDE provider doesn't do direct connections, it goes through the
> official ESRI SDE API.
>
> There was talk about a direct connect ArcSDE provider, but AFAIK this only
> works with Oracle and I haven't heard much more about this provider since.
>
> - Jackie
> --
>
> Brad,

Have you seen the help here which provides the connection syntax for the
ESRI direct SDK connection?

http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FdoArcSDEDirectConnect

As far as the non-SDK provider (arguably poorly named with "Direct" in the
name) it only connects to SDE stores in Oracle.  See
http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FDORfc42 for details though the algorithms
and logic would be transportable to the SQLServer provider if funded.

Hi Brad,
For direct connect to SQL 2008, set the server name for the server running
SQL 2008 and use an instance name of:
       sde:sqlserver:<servername>\instancename
Note that for direct connect, you need the sde direct connect libraries. Put
the following dll's into your fdo bin directory (assuming that you are using
sde 9.3):
       gsrvrsql93.dll , sdesqlsrvr93.dll , xerces-c_2_7.dll , icuuc22.dll ,
and icudt22l.dll
Thanks,
Orest.