[fdo-users] AutoCAD Map 3d 2011 FDO 3.5.0 BulkCopy Point from ShpFile to PostGIS 1.5.5 Table Coordinate Transformation Problem

Brent Robinson brent.robinson at autodesk.com
Wed May 19 16:42:13 EDT 2010

Hi Karl,

The xy swapping might be due to different axes assignments in the source and destination coordinate systems. For srid 31254, the PostGIS spatial_ref_sys table has the following in the WKT: AXIS["Y",EAST],AXIS["X",NORTH]].

Could you check your .prj file? If the WKT sets Y to North, or does not set it explicitly then that would explain the swapping, which would occur when Bulk copy converts the geometries between the source and destination WKT's.

For SRID=26986, the WKT from PostGIS sets X to East and Y to North which explains why Bulk Copy worked fine for it.

I'm not a coordinate system expert so I have to talk to a few other people to determine a long-term solution. In the meantime, the workaround you mentioned in another e-mail would be a good one. Overriding the source coordinate system to an incompatible one and then ignoring coordinate system errors, causes the coordinate conversion to be bypassed, preventing the undesired ordinate swap.

Brent.