[fdo-users] ArcSDE personal connect

Brad Nesom kidsmake6 at msn.com
Fri May 21 09:26:03 EDT 2010

I have been trying to make an autocad map (2010, 2011) connection to sql2008
express with an arcsde 9.3.1 personal gdb. I get several reactions depending
on which connection and the values I use. I tried going through autodesk
support to get a resolution. I got the following response from them. I have
seen some responses on this forum expressing that the connection is
possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Brad
My connection parameters...
sql server spatial
service name:              sde:sqlsserver:myserver\sqlexpress
response:                    credentials are not valid or provider is unable
to establish a connection.
ArcSDE connection
server name:                myserver\sqlexpress
instance name:            sde:myserver\sqlexpress
response:                   no error on credentials but the data store not
populated
the sde:sqlserver:myserver\SQLEXPRESS syntax works in FME and returns the
geometry correctly

Autodesk Response ...

Here's the official word from the product manager:

This is not a supported configuration. Not tested. I suspect the "local
connect" string is not understood by our provider.  But even if Map 3D did
connect, you wouldn’t be able to "create a datastore". FDO Provider for
ArcSDE doesn’t allow creation of data store from Map 3D. you can only
connect and edit existing ArcSDE Data Stores.