[fdo-users] FDO OGR 3.6+3.7 and UTF-8 problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 6 12:34:36 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Traian Stanev
<traian.stanev at autodesk.com> wrote:
> I had no idea about the existence of the capability Frank mentions and clearly checking that would be the right fix. But, I would argue that OGR should return all strings in UTF-8 instead of having the user check the capability. ;-)

Traian,

I agree it would be nice if all strings were in UTF8 but from some
providers it is essentially impossible to know the encoding from the
file itself (ie. csv).  I might suggest you always assume UTF8
since not all UTF returning drivers necessarily set the capability
properly.  It was mostly intended to make it easy to know that
some drivers are certainly returning utf8.

Best regards,