[Featureserver] [dev] why not PCL?

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 01:34:08 EDT 2007

Eric,

I can't speak for the developers, but here are some of my thoughts
why FeatureServer doesn't build on PCL:

- License.  FeatureServer is BSD and PCL introduces a GPL dependency
- Dependencies.  A fully featured PCL can be a beast to acquire all
of the dependencies for.  FeatureServer attempts to give you
something useful with a stock Python
- PCL is a framework, and FeatureServer only aspires to be a blob of
really useful code.  PCL's emphasis is as much about 'how' it does
stuff as 'what' it does.  FeatureServer doesn't currently concern
itself with such heady stuff.

I myself would like to see FeatureServer integrate (optionally)
integrate with some of the other libraries that are out there in
Python land.  Django's URL dispatching for one would be a natural
integration.  RTree and OWSLib would be two others in the PCL family
that don't have GPL requirements that could provide a lot of
functionality.

Howard