[Featureserver] Cheapo web host and Feature Server

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri May 25 13:55:15 EDT 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 05:03:17PM +0200, roger wrote:
> Thanks Christopher and Schuyler! - I think this is just what I was looking
> for. I already use Open Layers, and it works very well, and is well written.
> I have one question though:
>
> I'd like to store and be able to retrieve a small subset of a bunch of
> features (1 million or so). I'd also like to use a cheapo web hosting
> service where I probably won't have any admin priviledges. At first glance,
> Feature server with DBM might work. Do you think so?

1 million is too many for DBM. It scales decently to dozens of thousands
(tested with up to 50,000), but beyond that, the bounding box queries
end up getting too slow. The way to change this would be to adjust
bounding box queries to use a spatial indexing solution -- rtree, for
example -- but that code doesn't exist yet.

So, with the current code, I'd recommend using PostGIS if possible
(which has been tested with low millions of features). If that's not
possible, you have two options:
 * Add rtree support yourself
 * Get someone else to add rtree support.

The latter is probably something that waving $$ around at would be good
for. If you have money to wave at the problem, let me know offlist and I
can recommend how to proceed.

> BTW, the wiki link on the Feature server website doesn't work.

http://dev.featureserver.org/ ? works for me...

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt