[Featureserver] issues running featureserver under mod-python

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun May 27 22:55:44 EDT 2007

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 07:41:01PM -0700, Matthew Perry wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I tried to set up featureserver under mod_python and I'm not getting
> very good results, perhaps due to user error ;-)

Just for the record: featureserver has not been tested under mod_python
yet. I appreciate you working through it though, and I'll help
you get set up to the best I can :)

> In my apache config,
> I set up an alias /featurserver to point to my featureserver dir which
> resides outside of the htdocs directory:

>   PythonPath sys.path+['/opt/featureserver/FeatureServer','/opt/featureserver']
>
> Probably not the best approach but I'm just trying to get this working
> for the moment.

Actually, that's what the docs should say. The fact that they don't is a
historical relic: it needs to change, I believe. THanks for pointing
that out.

> 2)
> Using the included openlayers demo I was able to POST a new feature
> but I received the following error:
>
> An error occurred: 501
>
>   File "/opt/featureserver/FeatureServer/Server.py", line 118, in
> modPythonHandler
>     fs = util.FieldStorage(apacheReq)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mod_python/util.py", line
> 133, in __init__
>     raise apache.SERVER_RETURN, apache.HTTP_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
>
> Any ideas on this one?

Bug. Reported by Howard Butler earlier today, fixed in SVN, and I just
released 1.02 to cope with it.

If you're using the DBM/BerkeleyDB datasources, for the time being, I'd
recommend not using mod_python. There are some issues around
multithreaded access to the dbm file that weren't thought about enough
because we were using CGI exclusively. If you're interested in using
mod_python anyway, let me know and I'll see what I can do to come up
with either a fix or a better description of the problem so someone else
can fix it.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt