[Featureserver] Errors settings up feature server?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Feb 6 10:21:17 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 03:13:02PM +0000, Rob Dunfey wrote:
> Hi Dane,
>
> I made the change you suggested but I still get the same errors.
>
> I'm a little concerned that I'm being really daft, because I don't have
> python on my web host,

You do have Python on your web host: the first error message you pasted
was a Python traceback. At that point, the only problem you had was a
missing 'o' in your URL: If you can get back to that state, and just add
an 'o' into 'atm' to make it 'atom', You would have a working
FeatureServer install.

> but I see lots of .py files in the feature server
> install.   But my understanding is that featureserver can use python or
> cgi?

CGI is 'common gateway interface' -- it's not a programming language,
it's a 'protocol' (sort of) by which web servers can execute external
scripts.

> I assume that if python isn't installed, it falls back on whatever
> language is used by the web host to execute cgi programs?

CGI programs are executed by the webserver, using the interpreter
defined by the CGI. In this case, that's Python: and (as I pointed out
above) your web host does have Python, or you wouldn't have gotten this
far.

> I will have another look after work and see if I can make any progress.

You were really close. Unfortunately, you've moved further away due to
poor documentation; I apologize for that. If you move your featureserver
directory back inside cgi-bin, and change your URL, you should have the
first step working. (It's not all gravy from there, but it's a step
forward, at least.)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt