[Featureserver] Fwd: [udig-users] WFS layer from FeatureServer

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Feb 15 12:15:44 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 05:56:07PM +0100, Paolo Corti wrote:
> Hi
> maybe now something is not obvious to me, but:
> is there any way to get a DescribeFeatureType request? Looking at
> source code seems not.

Nope.  What's it do?  Ah, it describes a schema. FeatureServer doesn't
have schemas. There's no way to establish a valid DescribeFeatureType
request for some datasources short of iterating over every feature in
the database and finding all the attributes, and even then, we don't
have fixed types for the attributes...

Anyway, if one wanted to do something like this they could create a
DataSource-level "schema" method, which would return some standardized
feature type information, which could then be implemented in the various
services to return the data needed.

It's a non-trivial task, but if someone is really interested in it, I'd
be glad to walk them through it.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt