[Featureserver] Problem serializing/de-serializing a group of features

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 23 09:10:03 EDT 2008

Hi,

On 23.10.2008, at 14:31, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> 1. Featureserver has stored all members of the collection I uploaded
> individually. I can now access them with individual GET requests
> as .../1, .../2 etc., but I cannot retrieve the group as uploaded. Is
> this the correct behaviour, and what coud I do to group the objects
> on the server?
>
> 2. For some reason, the GeoJSON I get back from Featureserver cannot
> be parsed

Please ignore item 2, that was another JSON/GeoJSON problem it seems
and is solved now. However I am still  unsure about item 1.

Maybe my whole approach is broken. What I'm doing is: I have a front-
end that computes directions (how to get from A to B) using various
services, and dispalys them using OpenLayers. I now want users to be
able to comment on the results by placing markers on  the map and
adding comments ("... service A takes a bad decision at this
intersection, service B does it better..."), and then what I want is
to save the whole parcel - start point, end point, vectors describing
the various results, and markers (i.e. point features) - to
Featureserver. However these Features are not meant to be accessed
indiviually out of context - the marker with user annotation is not
worth anything without the linestrings.

Ultimately I want to display a simplified overview map where at first
you only get dots labelled "route from X to Y, 4 comments", and then
I want to be able to select one of these and load the "parcel" and
display it.

Maybe I should just dump Featureserver and simply store the
OpenLayers-generated GeoJSON strings for a full "parcel" in a plain
MySQL or PostGIS database? My use case is probably on the fringe of
what Featureserver was intended to do, so maybe I'm buying more
trouble than I'm saving time here.

Bye
Federik