[Featureserver] styling the output of featurserver

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Sep 19 09:12:08 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 01:00:52PM +0200, timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using featureserver to send a KML-stream from a OGR source.
>
> Is it possible to style the output featureserver?
>
> For instance, I would like to style the colors of the KML polygons with a graduated-color scheme to achieve a form of simple themaic mapping in Google Earth. Is this possible?

FeatureServer is not designed to handle this. If you can modify your
data, it is possible to specify a styleURL with each item, and that
styleUrl will then be used in the KML output, which would allow you to
develop a styling-rules KML file that you could then reference. However,
this would likely be somewhat difficult.

> Or do I need to use the styling options of OpenLayers for such purposes?

Well, styling things in OpenLayers and getting them into Google Earth
are two seperate tasks.

Yes: http://crschmidt.net/mapping/choropleth.html

--
Christopher Schmidt