[OSGeo Finance] Motion: Adopt Financial Reports

Ken Tamura ken.tamura at autodesk.com
Fri Aug 8 12:30:35 EDT 2008

I'm getting a little lost on these emails.  I will try to address this one.

In general, liabilities are recorded when there is a known commitment or services have been rendered and money is owed but not paid.

I think the question is how to ensure restricted money is proportioned and classified.  This is a very important point for a non-for-profit.  All restricted money received should be classified in the balance sheet "cash" account as restricted.  For money that is not restricted by contract/agreement, can be classified in cash as non-restricted funds.

For projects, if 'allocated' budget is not spent in the year, in general that money can be reallocated according to the next year plan budget (often a use or loss process).  This helps ensure that budget plans are reasonably planned with accuracy and project managers monitor their spending levels.  If projects last for more than one year, the budget plan should reflect the plan spend over the number of years for planning purposes, and allocated budget rolls each year until  the project plan is completed.

I hope this helps.

Ken Tamura
Geospatial Solutions of Autodesk, Inc.
415-507-8313 (w)    415-299-1704 (c)