[OSGeo Finance] Budget - how to reach closure for the board?

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Dec 2 15:33:30 EST 2008

Hi Frank,

I agree that the budget does need to reflect the priorities of the
board -- however we do have a responsibility to inform the board about
options for achieving those priorities and ensuring budget estimates
are correct etc..

Couple of things that I believe would be helpful:

1. What level of deficit (if any) is the Board comfortable taking on
in a worse-case scenario this year? From an operating standpoint --
can we advise on what we believe that worse case scenario deficit
should be for 2009? Can we identify what the implications of this are
for 2010? ie. something like "If OSGeo runs a 50k deficit in 2009, the
organization cannot afford to take on a deficit in 2010"

2. Given the answer to 1. -- should we identify how to manage the
budget so that if our revenues fall short of our goals, we can take
action to ensure we don't end up any worse than the worse-case
scenario? What I'm saying is -- some budget items may be "contingent"
on financial status later in the year. Do we know what those line
items (cut if necessary) might be?

1. and 2. really need to be addressed by the board -- perhaps we could
propose some scenarios and ask the board to address these items as
part of approving the budget?

Dave