[OSGeo Finance] Budget - how to reach closure for the board?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 2 18:25:42 EST 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Ken,
>
> The current amount (20K) is based on the preliminary budget proposal from
> the FOSS4G 2009 Local Organizing Committee.  I have consulted with Tyler
> who indicates the current *conservative* budget from the LOC is to lose
> $83K AUS.  I presume this is more reflective of a worst case scenario
> rather than a conservative one and  I have sought an update for our
> budget from the FOSS4G 2009 LOC.

Folks,

I have received updated notes from the FOSS4G 2009 LOC lead (Cameron
Shorter) who indicates a projected profit of $20K AUS based on a
conservative attendance of 500 people.  $20K AUS is about $12K USD
(as opposed to our originally budgetted $20K).  To bring the budget
back into approximate balance I have documented the need to get
an additional three associate sponsors (9K).  So to meet our
current budget we would need to acquire 1 new sustaining sponsor (50K),
one new supporting sponsor (10K) and four new associate sponsors (3Kx4).

Honestly, in a tough economy I find this optimistic.

On the other hand, even if we fell into a 20K deficit situation due to
getting less sponsorship than hoped, we would not really be significantly
eating into our reserves.   So it isn't exactly a crisis.

Best regards,