[OSGeo Finance] Re: [Board] Spending Limits

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu May 29 05:15:24 EDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Dave McIlhagga wrote:
>> Frank,
>>
>> Note - I can't remember the amounts that were involved -- however we
>> did not budget any discretionary funds for officers. So if this were
>> to actually be used, there would be no corresponding budget category
>> to associate this with which is a bit of a problem if we're trying to
>> keep a balanced budget. :)
>
> Dave,
>
> I think the intention is that this would be spending that already
> fits into existing budget categories but that does not have to go through
> a further approval process (by the board for instance).
>
> So, for instance, I can imagine the VP Marketting ok'ing spending to ship
> promotional materials somewhere without having to hold a vote of the
> Marketting
> Committee or get special dispensation from the Treasurer.

Hello,
I am about to do this actually - but will probably get the funding from OSGeo DACH (funds managed by GAV eV, a German language legal entity that aligns with OSGeo's missions and goals). Funds come from FOSSGIS conference revenue surpluses.

Besides this it would be good to know what amount of money can be spent directly. Set some rules like:
* Spent by the Marketing Committee chair (for example €100 and not in excess of three times a month and not in excess of the overall Marketing budget)
* Committee approval via motion and vote (up to €1000,- per month and blabla).

This would help to be able to respond more flexibly. Might need some more discussion.

Best regards,
Arnulf.