[OSGeo Finance] Re: Motion: Recommend 2008 Financials

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 27 13:03:22 EDT 2009

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Motion: The finance committee recommends adoption of the attached
> Income & Expense, and Balance Sheet reports for the 2008 year to the
> OSGeo Board.

Folks,

Thanks for the fast turn around.  I declare this motion passed with support
from FrankW, TylerM, DaveM, JoW, KenT, and PaulR.

Next week I shall prepare and distribute Q1 2009 financials for review.

I am also wondering if we ought to be trying to product 2008 Q4 and Q3 reruns
or if that is kind of pointless now.

Lastly, in regard to Ken's recommendation:

2.  recommendation for this year:  retain at non-for-profit tax accountant to
review the accounting entries and classification such that they comply with US
fund accounting standards and non-for-profit reporting requirements.  I did a
little refresher research and there are a few revenue and expense
classifications that we need to validate with a professional accountant. This
person can also help prepare for the non-profit status filing.

I'm interested in how we can find an appropriate person.  I believe we need
to file an actual tax return this year for OSGeo - something we have not done
before - and we have money budgeted to support this.  I assume the support for
a tax filing could include the sort of review Ken is talking about too, right?

Any thoughts from anyone on how get this ball rolling?  Also, is it likely that
we will need to file back returns back to the founding of OSGeo?

I am quite in dread of this!

Best regards,