[OSGeo Finance] Our USD accounts

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Oct 5 22:14:54 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I've been continuing to try to move all our accounts to one bank (local, to
me) but hit several slight snags, but one big one. Basically, it appears
that our payroll provider cannot auto-debit the US funds account I set up
with TD Bank. There are a few quirks like this with the Canadian Banks' USD
accounts.

The only way I could have them direct debit, like we do currently with our
Wells Fargo US account, is to have a Canadian funds account they can draw
from. So I discussed it with my account assistant at the bank and decided it
would be best to set one up. I haven't used it yet but it is at least now
available.

What I'm wondering is any advice on handling and tracking the USD -> CAD
conversions that will no doubt complicate my book keeping. Ken, or anyone
else, had to deal with this before?

So far we've had 100% USD accounts and I've been keen to not alter this.
Another issue worth debate may be whether USD is going to devalue over time
and our funds might be better in a CAD account or in a GIC until needed.
That said, our balance isn't as large as it used to be...

Tyler