[FOSS-GPS] High accuracy positioning with low cost GPS devices: a FOSS project

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Thu Oct 9 14:50:31 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Eugenio Realini
<eugenio.realini at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm Eugenio Realini, Ph.D. student at Politecnico di Milano, Geomatics
> Laboratory [1] at Como campus (Italy).
>
> I was simply amazed when I found out this list a few hours ago, since we
> just decided (few days ago) to continue the development of a GPS navigation
> software we have worked on for more than one year as FOSS.
> The software was born as a research/teaching tool to study Kalman filtering
> algorithms on GPS observations and today it has become a real-time
> navigation software that tries to exploit at best low cost GPS chipsets in
> order to obtain highly accurate positioning (20 - 50 cm). This is done by
> applying double differences with respect to a (network of) permanent
> station(s) and linear/surface constraints. It works directly on the raw data
> (code and carrier phase) that can be obtained from some GPS chipsets (we are
> now using u-blox LEA-4T [2]) and relies on a GPRS/UMTS Internet connection
> to get data for the differential positioning.
>
> The software is still highly prototypal and it has been written in the
> framework of two Master's degree theses (a third one has just started). Up
> to now it has been developed in a MATLAB environment, but it is going to be
> converted in ANSI C during the next months.
>
> We are thinking about designing it to run on Openmoko, but first we have to
> understand if there is any way of obtaining raw data from the u-blox GPS
> chipset it carries inside.
>
> bye
> Eugenio
>
> [1] http://geomatica.como.polimi.it/
> [2] http://www.u-blox.com/products/lea_4t.html

Wow, this sounds cool!

Is there a site for the project one could go to and have a look? Have
you some early alpha releases around already or something?

Let us know how you're doing! And feel free to ask questions on the
list, I'm sure there's some people around with knowledge that you
could be able to use, that's what the list is for :)