[FOSS-GPS] GPSD lead just joined the list

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Apr 20 13:09:12 EDT 2010

On 04/18/2010 08:23 PM, Eric Raymond wrote:
> jra and rozzin made me aware of this list earlier today, and since
> I've been looking for a way to keep in better touch with GPSD's
> customers I joined immediately.
>
> As I told them, GPSD wants to be the Swiss-army knife that lets the
> rest of you concentrate on presentation and UI.  I think I'll mostly be
> just listening to understand the downstream requirements better.

Welcome aboard.  Indeed we started the list so that various projects
that had GPS tie-ins could meet up under a single umbrella.

On that note, I want to invite everyone to come to our annual Free and
Open Source Software for Geospatial (FOSS4G) event in Barcelona this
September.  Expected to hit 1000+ attendees this year.

We usually have a few hours of breakout groups and GPS topics would be
quite welcome.  I'd love to hear if anyone else on the list will be
attending.  I could also coordinate a separate meeting place/time if
that we important to others.  Unfortunately our call for presentations
closed last week, I meant to urge folks here to send in abstracts. :(

GPSD history and it's future, as well as other apps, would have been
certainly interesting to our attendees.

[1] http://2010.foss4g.org

Tyler

Executive Director, OSGeo