[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS: Call for translations!

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 06:14:15 EDT 2010

2010/4/20 Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com>:
> If you are able to translate to any of those languages, or any other
> languages that we don't yet have covered (personally, I'd love for us
> to be the first GPS that speaks Lojban :)), we'd love to hear from you!

I'd like to hear from translators, if you'd have anything against
possibly utilizing Launchpad for translations some time in the future?
To make it more clearly, which of the following applies to you:
1) Translations by everyone should be done only by checking out code
from FoxtrotGPS bazaar repository and using intltool-update etc. to
update translations manually
2) Possibility to do like 1), but also allow usage of Launchpad via
https://launchpad.net/foxtrotgps by joining Launchpad Translators
group
3) It doesn't matter to you

Launchpad makes it easier for translations to be done by the more
non-technical translators via the web interface, and it's nice for the
more technical of us as well, but still with QA applied with the usage
of language-specific translator groups (depends on the group how well
it's managed etc.). However, if there is a strong interest from you to
contribute to FoxtrotGPS translations and you specifically don't want
Launchpad to be involved, we can simply choose not to use Launchpad.
Note that many existing projects misuse Launchpad by keeping the
translations "Open", but I'd intend to use the more sensible
"Structured" permissions for team membership to be required.

If I do not get any replies from you, I'll assume Launchpad will be
fine at some point. If you answer 1) ie. some of you don't want anyone
to use Launchpad, I will keep from initializing the Launchpad
translations or maybe take a look if a specific language can be
disabled in Launchpad. I'm not sure about the latter option.

-Timo