[FOSS-GPS] GPSD, geoclue, and the geolocation service stack

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sat Apr 24 06:33:48 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 01:57:47PM -0400, Eric Raymond wrote:
> Ideally, geoclue would work side by side with the sort of map service layer
> people have been discussing here.  I didn't have a lot to contribute to
> that discussion, because I don't know a lot about the map end of things.
> But I do think it would be silly to duplicate map-service code across
> a dozen different projects.  I'd prefer to see a map-service project with
> well-defined APIs that concentrated expertise about getting and caching
> tiles in one place.

In the end wouldnt it make more sense to provide some vector interface,
something like navit? Loading and caching tiles can consume tons of
flash/disk space and with todays mobile networks the software may be
useless in rural areas across the globe.

I stopped using any tile consuming mobile application as i very often
forgot to preseed the trip i was planning and there was no mobile coverage.

Yes - the tiles look much nicer but are limited to the facts the original
renderer decided would be important. They either rely on the user preseeding
the cache or having acceptable mobile data coverage.

Flo
"Es ist ein grobes Missverständnis und eine Fehlwahrnehmung, dem Staat
im Internet Zensur- und Überwachungsabsichten zu unterstellen."
- - Bundesminister Dr. Wolfgang Schäuble -- 10. Juli in Berlin