[FOSS-GPS] foxtrotgps map detail option (was: Questions about foxtrotgps)

James Hiebert james at hiebert.name
Wed Oct 13 00:52:32 EDT 2010

> Yes, it's in gconf as /apps/foxtrotgps/global_detail_zoom, though
> gconf is currently queried only at startup--so you can't induce changes
> in a running instance of foxtrotgps by `sneaking in the back door'
> and twiddling gconf parameters.

Thanks; that helped me reset the option back to the default.

> But my guess as to why you're not seeing the details shrink would be
> that you don't have actually have the higher-detail tiles: if you zoom in
> to level 10, for example, but have tiles only up to level 9, then it'll
> `overzoom'--the idea being that a less-detailed or blurry section
> on the map is better than an *empty* section.

No, that's not the case.  This is in the city where I live, where I
regularly contribute to OSM, and have all the tiles downloaded to zoom level
16.  foxtrot was definitely _not_ showing the highest level detail
available.  But it's OK...  now knowing how to twiddle the setting with
gconf offline, I can still maintain functionality while playing with the
option to get a better description for a bug report (if applicable).

~James