[FOSS-GPS] foxtrottgps: how to change glade file?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Fri Feb 11 22:58:40 EST 2011

"Dr. Tilmann Bubeck" <t.bubeck at reinform.de> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to change the glade file of foxtrottgps using glade 3.7.1
> on a Fedora 14. Whenever I change just a little bit and save, the
> resulting glade file is much changed. Probably because of the
> different glade version, then the one last used (3.4.5).
>
> Is this the recommended way to work on the glade file?

Hi Till,

My sincere apologies for taking so ridiculously long to respond
to such a simple question; I bet you've figured this out on your own,
by now:

Yes, using Glade to edit the foxtrotgps.glade file should generally
be the right thing to do; the only particular caveats I have are:

   * At least some versions of Glade reverse the order of all of node
     in the XML tree after loading from a file, which means that it is
     necessary to save the file, exit Glade, re-start Glade, and then
     re-load the file and save it *again* to avoid introducing many
     spurious diffs; I think this may have been fixed at some point,
     but it looks like Glade 3.7.1 still does it.

   * It's generally a good idea to do a diff on the .glade file
     to see if any spurious changes somehow made their way in--
     it's hard to see some subtle, possibly accidental changes
     in the GUI--and committing spurious changes could lead to
     merge-conflicts, down the road.

You're still right, however, that the GladeXML format *has* changed
(though only a little) since version 3.4.5; it's probably time, now,
for me to update to a more modern Glade, upstream :)

Out of curiosity, do you mind me asking what you're working on?