[FOSS-GPS] What do "slip detected" and "large residual" mean?

John Morris john at coyotebush.net
Thu Aug 9 11:13:28 PDT 2012

"Slip Detected" occurs when the GPS receiver temporarily loses track of a
satellite.  It isn't a full fledged loss of the satellite, but rather a
"glitch" in the phase/Doppler data.

"Large Residuals" mean the GPS equations didn't find a consistent solution.
It can happen for a number of reasons, including slips, errant data from the
receiver, or incorrect lat/lon of the base station.

Both errors are common if your receivers don't have a clear view of the sky.
Expect them when your rover is operating under or near trees, buildings,
etc.  Usually, post-processing software tries to identify measurements which
throw things askew, and then corrects the problem by dropping or correcting
those measurements. The process isn't perfect, and sometimes the errors
dominate.