[FOSS-GPS] Recommended receivers for precise fixed relative measurements

Model A rmeyer at unitronlp.com
Thu Sep 10 13:33:51 PDT 2015

I recently built up an RTK system using readily available parts that were all
ordered within the USA.    I built both the Base and the Rover Stations,
plus the RF Link between them, for less than $360, excluding the cost of the
antennas.   I am using a Tablet PC (Windows 10) with RTKLIB on it.  All
computer interfaces are via USB.  Everything is powered from a 12 volt
battery source.   Next week I will be surveying a County Fairgrounds in
Decatur, Texas, and laying out 5,000 parking spaces in the grass for an old
car swap meet.  I plan to put my Base Station over a fire hydrant as a
reference point.

I built my system based on the Ublox LEA-6T GPS Receiver board from Synergy
Systems.    Art Sepin from Synergy Systems has been very helpful in the
integration of this project.   After next week’s testing of the system I
will be releasing my schematics, parts list, sources for all parts, and
setup instructions.   Basically a "How to do it" for building up a complete
RTK System.

For the best accuracy I have found that a good quality antenna makes all the
difference.   I am using a couple of L1/L2 GPS antennas that I bought used
on eBay for under $100 each.   My system uses L1 only.   I have also tried
some bullet shaped L1 GPS Timing antennas that were used on cell phone
towers, they worked just as good.   More information will follow within a
few week’s time.