[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS - POI and other stuff

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Thu Jan 12 14:57:02 PST 2017

Ah, thanks Joshua. I did work out from the source pretty much what you
say here. But was puzzelled by some fields, looks like you share that
puzzelment ! I did not realise it went all the way back to Markus.

On 09/01/17 17:52, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> Thought you might think it from the name, "idmd5" ID-string
Seems to be just a (almost) unique number generator. Makes sense.

The naming of the icon used to mark each POI is pretty interesting !
Needed strace to work it out. Icon is named for what appears in the
keyword field. So, if the contents is "Camp.png" then thats the name of
the icon. However, if the contents of keywords is "Camp Standard" then
it looks for, literally, "Camp%20Standard".  The space 'escaped',
replaced with the actual characters %20 and the .png dropped off.

Messy IMHO.

Sounds like he was in the process of changing the meaning of that field,
perhaps because, in the first draft of the schema, he forgot to include
an icon name field ? Seems a shame to drop the keyword functionality but
obviously do need to name the icon.

I wonder if anyone is using that existing behaviour ?

(Indeed, I wonder i anyone is using Tango itself ?  Still by far the
best Linux tool for the job....)

I'd like to "fix" the POI stuff but I guess it must be done without
breaking existing behaviour. I think I'd add a "Icon" field to the
scheme, would be forward compatible but not backwards.

Be interesting to hear what functionality others expect from POI ???

David