[FOSS4G-Oceania] Code Sprint funding - OSGeo

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 1 16:57:11 PDT 2018

Well done, thanks for all the detailed attention to this!
M.

From: FOSS4G-Oceania <foss4g-oceania-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 2 August 2018 at 8:18 am
To: "foss4g-oceania at lists.osgeo.org" <foss4g-oceania at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: [FOSS4G-Oceania] Code Sprint funding - OSGeo

Hi all, FYI:

Alex & I attended the first part of the OSGeo board meeting last night via IRC, to provide information on our request for funding for our code sprint/community day. We were asking for $1475USD (~$2000AUD).

It received a warm response, and unanimous support in the meeting. I believe they will need to formalise their response, as they use a voting system separate from the meeting, but I think we should be able to proceed with the assumption we have this support.

They also had a few tips for us, some examples:

  *   top tip is get the project and committee leads involved early, planning to attend, and with a task they want to accomplish
  *   please start a LessonsLearned wiki page for the whole event, asap
  *   So I would like to approve this, but also invite our guests back to a board meeting after the event .. for feedback on how we can make these effective.
There was a bit of discussion around the difficulty of keeping people at the sprint when it comes at the end of a conference... something we should keep in mind.

Full log is here<https://view.matrix.org/room/!fJlCtKdpMHgXoEvxTO:matrix.org/?anchor=$1533160454353090jGFIE:matrix.org&offset=940>.

So, nice work pulling this together everyone! We'd better do what we can to make the Community Day a success! :)

Cheers
John