[FOSS4G-Oceania] T-shirt supplier and sizes

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 15:53:59 PDT 2018

My feeling is that SSSI have had 9 months to raise this - it’s a touch late
in the game.

We had a broad agreement around no logos at all on t-shirts. People are
paying for the t-shirts, I agree with the assertion that in that case no
logos is a good thing. Come to think of it, in the last two F4Gs there has
been one logo on a sleeve - from a sponsor who paid, well, more in one hit
than all our current sponsors combined ($USD30 000 -
http://2017.foss4g.org/sponsor/).

Yes, sponsors and SSSI and unimelb make a lot of other things possible.
They all have opportunities to take value as they see fit.

In the case of SSSI, they will get a financial return on their investment
of time.

For unimelb, profile raising. And potential future profit in the form of
students.

For other sponsors - profile raising, an opportunity to show their stuff.

>From my own perspective, my small company has provided far more than a
platinum sponsorship in my time to organise this conference. What’s the
return? we have no idea. Maybe none. Maybe some. We definitely draw on the
open source community so we feel obliged to give back and maybe this is our
‘open source licensing fee’. I’d like to remind us all that this is *not* a
standard industry conference with fixed ROI expectations.

Finally, we never offered partners or sponsors logo placement on t shirts
from the outset. I’d contend that if anyone wants to chip in $US30k, we can
reconsider.

To wrap up, -1 for any logos on t-shirts, subject to the $USD30k rule.

We can find many other ways to generate value for partners and sponsors.

Cheers

Adam

>>> http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer