[FOSS4G-Oceania] Swag

Daniel Silk dwsilk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 23:49:36 PDT 2018

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 4:14 PM Martin Tomko <tomkom at unimelb.edu.au> wrote
> I like the idea of books, but raise two issues:
>     • Budget – this is a really expensive proposition. Some $10 vs 30 +
for a book is a considerable problem, I believe.

We are approaching doubling our original estimate for sponsorships, and
look likely to exceed our targets for registration too. It's an expensive
proposal but we're also looking at a big surplus at the moment. This gives
us an opportunity to add more value for attendees.

>     • Book selection: I like the fact we are not generating waste, but
that is only true if the book suits you. Now, this is FOSS4G, not an “esri”
conference, and diversity is the keyword here. Unless it is a book about
GDAL/PROJ we have an issue . Not everyone uses QGIS< or Python, or R< or
Java etc, and for osme there are no books. The logistics of assuring fit
are immense. From the books noted, I do like those about “generic” maps,
rather than one tied to a software, for sure.

I agree that it's a bit tricky, but it's not unique to this proposal - it's
difficult for any swag (e.g. I've already got 10 free drink bottles from
other events).
John mentioned some options if an attendee sees nothing of value and opts
out.

Having said that, surely everyone knows someone who could do with a City
Maps colouring-in book (based on OpenStreetMap data) in their life! ;-)