[FOSS4G-Oceania] Fwd: Governance

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 19:46:01 PST 2018

Hi all,

Ahead of tomorrow's meeting, I want to propose a process by which we might
efficiently get to our next stage of development. This series of steps
would take some time overall, but I think we could get the first few steps
complete fairly quickly and empower a 2019 conference committee to begin
its work.

As I see it, these are the steps (some of which will be guided by the
contents of the governance doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KkUl-qwb2pE5OomHy-0RwKSsXJDOkFx0dpW6Dhfv624/edit#>
):

   1.

   Organising committee: ratify/finalise the working governance document as
   a new Terms of Reference to guide subsequent steps.
   2.

   Organising committee: appoint, and be replaced by, a new Board of
   Directors.
   3.

   Board: appoint an executive (President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer).
   4.

   Board: appoint a 2019 Conference Committee chair, who will work with the
   board to appoint the members of this committee. Once formed, the 2019
   committee can begin its work in earnest.
   5.

   Board: create a small working group with this mandate: investigate
   options and requirements for forming an entity model/structure, consult
   with other organisations and professionals as required, and report back to
   the board with a recommendation.
   6.

   Board: work toward fulfilling its mandate to form a suitable entity,
   form local chapters, further define processes etc.

I'd see us finishing at least item 1 by next week, with 2 - 5 probably
happening early in the new year (when are people ready to pick this up?). 2
& 3 should happen in rapid succession. 4 & 5 can happen in parallel.

Very keen to hear feedback on this approach & timing, please shout out if
you see any issues, and we can also discuss in tomorrow's meeting.

Cheers
John