[FOSS4G-Oceania] appoint OSGeo Oceania board

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:38:05 PST 2018

Hey John, all - thanks for keeping the ball rolling.

I think it’s reasonable, what about others who really are winding up for
holidays right now?

Do we want to ask people to make a really short statement of why they want
to nominate for the 4 executive roles?

Cheers

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 10:31, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, following on the establishment of a new Terms of Reference for a
> new organisation (OSGeo Oceania), the next step of the process is to
> appoint an inaugural board of directors. From the ToR:
>
> *The inaugural board will be appointed by (and will replace) the existing
>> FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018 organising committee.*
>

> In the long run, a large committee for this group may prove unwieldy, but
> for now, my feeling is that we should open it up for self-nomination by all
> 16 current FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018 committee members and advisors, and
> allow it to evolve to the right size over time. Anyone self-nominating
> should ensure they understand (and are willing to meet) the expectations
> for participation as described in the ToR - we need an active board of
> people willing to put in time & energy.
>
> Also from the ToR:
>

>> *The board aims to be diverse and inclusive, and as such, should make an
>> effort to have equalrepresentation of genders and be inclusive of
>> representation from Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands nations, and
>> OSGeo & OSMF communities.*
>

> As such, we may need to add new people to the board, to work towards
> meeting these objectives. This could probably happen at the board's
> discretion in the new year.
>
> So, to be specific, here's what I'm proposing we do over the remainder of
> this week:
>
>    - Next 48 hours to Thursday: discuss this process, as needed, and
>    express our individual interest in being on the inaugural board.
>    - Thursday: raise a motion to form a new board subject to the ToR,
>    thus replacing the current committee.
>
> If & when such a motion is passed, any further business would be conducted
> by the new board. Given the timing, I suspect this 'any further business'
> business would be in the new year.
>
> Thoughts? Does this seem like a reasonable approach? I don't want to rush
> things, just trying to strike a balance between an undemanding pace, and
> getting things to a tidy state before the Christmas break.
>
> Cheers
> John

Dr. Adam Steer
http://spatialised.net