[FOSS4G-Oceania] Forum on Diversity

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:27:40 PDT 2018

Hi Sarah,

Some great ideas of yours here. As it appears you have an interest in
this, maybe you'd be the right person to lead this forum? Would have the
added benefit of increasing the number of female presenters by one.

Adam,

A word of caution on excessively overriding the community vote (to
increase our goals of diversity). When I chaired the 2009 conference we
selected a few lower voted presentations - mainly to increase local
representation, as we noticed that most attendees were local. During the
conference I looked in on some of these low voted talks and found they
were very poorly attended. Lets be mindful of that situation for our
conference.

There is research which suggests that lack of women in STEM is not only
due to lower opportunity and role models, but possibly due to other
reasons, such as while women appear to be just as capable in STEM
subjects (possibly more capable), they are maybe less interested.

There was an email thread "Diversity in FOSS4G" discussing some of these
points: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2018-August/thread.html
Highlights from the thread:

Reference to this research:
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0956797617741719
https://researchtheheadlines.org/2018/04/20/the-stem-gender-equality-paradox-from-fallacies-to-facts/
/In recent years, STEM has become a huge buzzword among teachers,
researchers and policy makers. Promoting STEM education in girls has
been a national priority for many western nations including the UK, USA,
Australia, Finland, Switzerland and Norway. Yet, with international
women’s day not too far behind us, these nations have found themselves
ambushed by rather discouraging headlines like: “Fewer women want to be
scientists in wealthy, equal, countries”, “The West is way behind Iran
and Saudi Arabia when it comes to women in science”, and “More gender
equality leads to less women in STEM”./

And counter arguments presented by Maria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5S7QD9dryI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrYx7HaUlMY

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier