[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: extended, targeted call for papers if needed

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 23:28:51 PDT 2018

Hi all

I see the idea of a second CFP is not supported. I agree that it would have
been a lot better if we’d run it *before* any community vote; and delayed
the community vote accordingly.

I don’t think we’ve done our best, we’ve done a bunch of stuff that fits
within our (predominantly white male) comfort zone and then got out our
excuse book ( ‘5 years ago there were X’; ’some paper which can be ripped
apart easily says women are not interested’; ‘we can’t upset anyone/its
unfair' ).

Having just returned from a conference where the organisers deliberately
prioritised their diversity goals over upsetting a few applecarts (they did
annoy people) - but was among the biggest FOSS4G’s ever (maybe bigger than
boston!), and definitely one of the funnest and most interesting - I think
there’s merit in breaking some old conventions from time to time.

Allright, back to logistics and getting stuff done. Sponsors to e-mail, AV
hire to investigate...

Cheers

Adam Steer
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer