[FOSS4G-Oceania] Fwd: [OSGeo-Conf] TGP's in 2019

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 03:16:11 PST 2019

Hi all

…as always, I’m happy to help on the Mojo/TGP front, and I’d like to hear
Daniel chime in here - there may be visions/plans afoot in the LOC already,
and in the OSGeo TGP funding sense the LOC must be the primary drivers (see
the cookbook referenced here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kzu9z_4BRMzCc5y9SsE7--GnShL30kPGnh7gXlqJspQ
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kzu9z_4BRMzCc5y9SsE7--GnShL30kPGnh7gXlqJspQ/edit>).
While it might seem onerous/inflexible, OSGeo aims to make sure that TGP
money is used for one thing only - getting people to conferences.

It seems natural for ‘Good Mojo’ contributions to be managed by OSGeo
Oceania, and delivered to conference LOCs per their requests for
TGP/inclusivity measures - more or less how TGPs work in OSGeo, actually.
However, I’m not certain we’ve had that conversation yet and this may be
pre-empting discussion.

Wider outreach/travel funding is a separate issue, and needs to be
discussed in the context of funding the organisation more generally.

So yes, we need to move - but not rush. I apologise if my overly-brief note
indicated a need to act immediately-as-in-right-now-on-a-weekend.

Cheers

Adam

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 at 21:47, Greg Lauer <gregory.lauer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that the TGP is far wider than just the annual conference, and
> thus should be coordinated/managed at board level. As well as funding
> travel to the annual conference I think there is scope to make funds
> available for travel to other related conferences, training (inbound and
> outbound), and any other initiatives that meets the vision of OSGeo
> Oceania. Maybe this is a Working Group or a sub-committee role. I see
> funding coming from multiple sources such as AID agencies, commercial
> entities and other associations (SSSI for example). It may be that we set
> up a separate TGP for each conference/event but the funding/governance is
> coordinated at a much wider level,
>
> The above said I think it is important to 'strike while the iron is hot',
> and follow up on the FOSS GIS funding opportunity ASAP. I am happy to
> assist Jonah in putting together the application.
>
> Cheers
>
> Greg
>
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 6:16 PM John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd see this as sitting with the conference committee, if that group is
>> willing and able to take it on. Of course, the CC hasn't actually formed
>> yet, but perhaps this can be on the agenda for the first meeting? The
>> Letter of Intent specifically references a TGP so it seems likely to be
>> considered a priority.
>>
>> I'd also see the need for the CC to pull together at least a first draft
>> of a budget before we can really estimate what our TGP can look like,
>> financially.
>>
>> And as an update, relevant to budget discussions, we're currently waiting
>> on the SSSI board to agree with our request to carry forward the
>> outstanding balance ($8700) of the Good Mojo Fund. I believe it will be on
>> the agenda for their next board meeting, within next couple of weeks I
>> think (Kerry?).
>>
>> Cheers
>> John
>>
>> On Sat., 9 Feb. 2019, 3:03 pm adam steer, <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Jonah - great! Just make sure it's coordinated with the board and in
>>> particular the conference loc.
>>>
>>> On that front, where do people think tgp coordination sits - with the
>>> osgeo Oceania board, or with conference committees?
>>>
>>> I think the conference loc, because they're the operational unit and
>>> have responsibility to execute/manage tgp with respect to each conference
>>> (which will be different each time).
>>>
>>> Cheers

Dr. Adam Steer
http://spatialised.net