[FOSS4G-Oceania] Should Oceania pitch to host the international FOSS4G 2021?

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Fri May 17 02:01:34 PDT 2019

I see a couple of important issues we'd need to work through:

- Oceania is remote & has a small population, so we could probably expect
attendance to be in the low end of the range, relative to recent FOSS4Gs [1]
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G#Overview_of_past_conferences_and_attendances>.
Would this present financial challenges? Would we be able to deliver the
conference to the standard the community has come to expect?
- Do we have enough volunteer capacity in this community to do this in
parallel with the other stuff we have going on? I suppose the response to
this thread will help us answer this question...

In addition to the (compelling) approach from the  Melbourne bureau, I'm
aware of two other approaches (from Brisbane & Cairns).

Anyway - I'm very interested to explore the answers to these questions
before I personally commit, but I would love to see it happen!