[FOSS4G-UK] Targeted emails: Call for Talks

Nick Bearman nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 01:27:26 PDT 2023

Hi Ant,

Thanks. Template included below and I have added to the spreadsheet.

Best wishes,
Nick.

Dear Angela,
<short note if I know them personally>

We are running FOSS4G:UK this year across 8 venues around the UK, where
we bring together anyone who uses, promotes, develops or want to learn
about open source tools and open data for geospatial. It is on Thu 7th
Sept 2023, with a whole day of talks, workshops and networking across
the UK and Ireland. More details at
https://uk.osgeo.org/foss4guklocal2023/index.html.

This will be a hybrid conference, but with a twist: there will be no
central physical location. We have eight venues geographically dispersed
across the UK and Ireland, where you can physically meet up to attend
the conference. Our venues are Glasgow, Lancaster, Maynooth, Swansea,
Bristol, Basingstoke, London and Keyworth.

I think your work <on topic> would make a great presentation at
FOSS4G:UK and it would be great it you were willing to come and give a
short talk, demo or presentation.

We are open to any talks about FOSS4G (Free and Open Source Software for
Geospatial). Currently we only need a brief paragraph on what you would
like to talk about - no detailed submissions. Talks, presentations,
workshops, and show & tell sessions can be about:
- New/updated FOSS4G software
- Interesting applications of FOSS4G across industry, commercial, public
sector or third sector
- How to use FOSS4G and related software at a range of levels

Take a look at our previous programmes for FOSS4G:UK Local 2022
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ChtOtqO0PfZ2ckiZqqJxyV3VhP3Xm-WnkJ6NwZ2UVTM/edit#gid=1605024148),
FOSS4GUK Online 2020
(https://uk.osgeo.org/foss4gukonline2020/programme.html) and FOSS4GUK
2019 in Edinburgh
(https://uk.osgeo.org/foss4guk2019/FOSS4GUK_2019_Programme.pdf) to get a
flavour of the talks we have.

The current deadline is 31st July. We have designed the Call for Talks
to be as simple as possible so if you do decide to submit one, it
shouldn't take too much time.

If you don't want to present, it would also be great to have you as an
attendee to meet others involved in the Open Geospatial Community.

If you have any questions, or would like to know anything more about the
conference, please do not hesitate to reach out to me. My details are below.

Best wishes,
Nick.

Nick Bearman
OSGeo:UK Chair and FOSS4G:UK National Chair

+44 (0) 7717745715
nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk

Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me outside of
normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside
of your own working pattern.

On 7/13/23 09:09, OSGeo:UK wrote:
> Hi Nick
>
> Good idea - could you post the template, also let us know who you have
> sent to (maybe stick the list on the spreadsheet) so we don't double up?
>
> thanks
> Ant
>
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 at 17:13, Nick Bearman
> <nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     Just to let you know I have sent targeted emails to 14 members of the
>     Women in Geospatial Speakers database
>     (https://speakers.womeningeospatial.org/) asking if they would be
>     interested in presenting at the conference (let me know if you
>     want to
>     know who, or would like the email as a template).
>
>     If there is anyone you know who might be keen to submit a talk,
>     please
>     do reach out. Particularly if they are in any under-represented
>     groups
>     (which is essentially anyone who is not a white man!).
>
>     Currently we have 5 submissions in the Call for Talks: Lancaster 1,
>     Swansea 2, Keyworth 2, Bristol 1.
>
>     Many thanks!
>     Nick.
>
>     --
>     Nick Bearman
>     +44 (0) 7717745715
>     nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
>
>     Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me
>     outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure
>     to respond outside of your own working pattern.
>

>     --

Nick Bearman
+44 (0) 7717745715
nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk