[FOSS4G-UK] [External] Re: Logo

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 00:16:33 PDT 2023

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 4:35 PM Nick Bearman <
nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure about Ireland having a different colour and with the
> dots being on the diagonal rather than on the straight (up and down) - one
> or the other would be fine, I think both is a bit over kill. What do you
> think?

Yeah, I think as an exercise I tried both and left them both in! Just
colour is probably better.

> Also, something weird is happening between NI and Scotland - not sure what
> the three dots are doing there.

The dots are produced by QGIS' point-pattern fill style, so I'll ask it! I
suspect there's some islands or something... I did a lot of adjustment of
pattern fill offsets to try and get something that resembled last year's
logo in terms of resolution etc, so I'll play more and get something that
might be a bit less jittery. I could always adjust manually, because...

> Are you willing to give it a bit more of a tweak, or share the source
> files, so I can?

...the rest of it is done in Inkscape...

> I like the names - possibly Bristol need a bit of location tweak.

...and the names on a circle were a pain to do - which is why the bottom of
the circle isn't quite right compared to the top of the circle! But yes,
also a bit more spacing around the Bristol text is needed. I whipped this
out pretty quick and didn't have time to fine-tune everything, but if we
want to go with it I'll hone it!  Or pass it on to my "does a bit of
graphic design" girlfriend, but that would mean her staying late at work
for their Adobe license...

> We should also incorporate the event name in there somewhere - FOSS4G:UK
> Local 2023.

I think I was unsure about the name and I'm still worried about calling it
"UK" with Ireland in there! Let's not start a war...

> The swoop I like, will have to see how it all fits together.

Yeah, integrating the swoop into the map logo is a bit awkward, will
consider...