[Foss4g2008loc] keynote speakers

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Fri Mar 14 08:40:21 EDT 2008

Mark has about as much to do with GIS as Damian Conway (of Perl fame)
has. Damian's message was 'a geek eye for the suit guy' - i.e. what is
the open source message to take to managers and decision makers to
convince them of its business case. He didn't mention GIS once but had a
great message delivered powerfully and entertainingly.

So, the speaker doesn't have to have a huge connection with GIS although
that would be great, but a connection with Open Source (and/or another
connection to the conference theme) and a great message or story are
essential. And of course great speaking skills.

Re Paul S' suggestion: Paul R, are you up to it?

Any opinions on a repeat (with variations) of Damian?

Gavin