[Foss4g2008loc] Local GIS data

Josh Livni josh at umbrellaconsulting.com
Thu Sep 4 10:17:52 EDT 2008

Excellent - thanks again for the great introductions here.  I have started a
simple list of datalayers on the wiki, but it is likely others who are more
knowledgeable regarding local datasets will add (or subtract).  In the
meantime, here are the layers that came to my mind that might be available
for Cape Town, in order of importance/interest: * Province Boundary
 * City Boundary
 * Cape Town suburbs, subcouncils, and wards
 * Any aerial imagery
 * 2006 Census shapes and attributes (preferably all, but as above, Wards at
the least)
 * Streets / Other transportation (bus lines?)
 * Informal Settlements ?
 * Any spatial data related to urban renewal programme

For my workshop, we will be creating a simple database driven application,
and it would be great to at least do simple proof-of-concept things (eg show
all pts in a particular suburb), and possibly more complex things if data is
easily available.  My guess is that for most workshops, basic admin
boundaries and any aerial imagery would be most interesting.  For some of
us, the extra detailed layers just mean we have more options.

Russell - would it be a problem to get any/all of the above layers?  Is
there a list of other layers you are aware of that might be available?  In
general, the more the merrier if it is not much extra trouble.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Cheers,

  -Josh