[Foss4g2009] OCS/Events Conferencing software integration meeting minutes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 4 12:31:38 EDT 2008

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> The proposed solution is to use OCS for collecting presentations, and
> some of the registration work flow, then hand the rest over to the ICS
> software. (I haven't captured all the details here. Will leave that to
> someone else). Changes will likely be written in PHP & MySQL, plus
> contractors might need to be hired to provide hooks into the Events system.

Cameron,

I don't really have a clear understanding of the integration proposed.

My past suggestion has been to handle the presentation collection and
management through OCS (something we have experience with), and handle
registration completely in the service providers system.  I don't see how
this would require any expensive integration.

This still leaves some question about whether the "front end" web site
is managed by the local service provider's system or OCS.  I'm ambivalent
on this issue.

In my optimistic opinion the only integration needed between the systems
should be an url at the appropriate points.  I will acknowledge that
users may end up with two userids if they are presenting, one to
register and one for the presentation management system.

The objective - at least in the long term - is to get cheaper service from
the service providers since they won't be expected to manage the presentation
aspect, and to ensure greater continuity of operation in this aspect.

The only integration I anticipate is working to ensure OCS uses the OSGeo
LDAP database so that userid/password info is "OSGeo standard".

Best regards,