[Foss4g2009] Re: FW: FOSS4G 2009 website + processes

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 19:43:39 EDT 2008

Dave,
You have raised a good point about our need for processes (in this case
regarding website additions) but which I think should be extended to
other areas as we reach them.

I suggest we start a wiki page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Processes
Which includes a "Website Updates" subsection, or subpage.

This page should contain Dave's recommendations for update process
below. Where appropriate, the reasons for processes should be included
so people don't change a process without appreciating the consequences.

Dave, if you think the wiki idea makes sense, would you be interested in
setting it up, (incorporating any comments received).

Dave Patton wrote:
> On 2008/08/15 2:42 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> Any comments on this template foss4g website before copy it live?
>>
>> http://www.tourhosts.com.au/testdev/foss4g/
>
> I have some specific comments below, but first, this
> is an opportunity to decide how we will deal with
> 'website additions/updates'.
> 1)
> What process and policies will guide FOSS4G2009
> website updates/additions?
> 1-A)
> Process:
> Regardless of who is working on the update/addition,
> what "process" will be used? Some thoughts:
> - while there may be an upside in terms of exposure,
>   one downside of having 'the first cut' announced
>   on this public list is that the list is archived
>   and publicly available, therefore search engines
>   may 'grab content' that we decide shouldn't be
>   made public
This is a valid concern, and one I didn't think about when emailing the
public list.
> - if the Organizing Committee doesn't review the
>   content first, before it is available publicly,
>   there may be the risk of wrong or mixed messages
It is always tricky managing the balance between transparency and
improved quality through many reviewers, swamping people with too many
emails, and becoming too indecisive caused by "Management by Committee".

I suggest that every committee has a chair, the chair should listen to
committee members, and then be decisive. (Think benevolent dictator, and
I hoping someone other than me will be able to adopt the role).

> - is a 'two step review' (Organizing Committee, then
>   this public list) too much 'management'
> - is the process any different for an update to the
>   content of an existing page vs a new page
> 1-B)
> Policies:
> What policies/guidelines will apply to updates/addition
> to the FOSS4G2009 website? Some thoughts:
> - all pages must be valid (but what standard do we use
>   to validate against? XHTML 1.0 Transitional?)
> - the CSS used must be valid (but what standard do we use
>   to validate against? CSS level 2?)
> - what if any other standards must be met?
>   (e.g. accessibility guidelines)
> - which versions of which web browsers on which platforms
>   must be used for testing, and are there specific types
>   of tests that must be done?
At the moment, the website needs to work and look acceptable in:
FF2, FF3, IE6, IE7 and Safari, or Windows, Mac and Linux.

We should check the framework works in all these browsers, but we
shouldn't need to test after each content update unless the update adds
a new widget (like a Google Map locater)

CSS/XHTML guidelines should be suggested but probably don't need to be
mandated so long as the key browsers work.
> - do 'interactive pages', such as pages with forms, need
>   additional testing(i.e. to ensure that the form submission
>   has been fully tested by multiple people, including 'the
>   public', and that the submitted data is what is expected)
> - is there a standard 'layout' that will be applied to all
>   pages (e.g. top banner with 3-column layout below, + footer?)
>

> Some general comments about the various pages at
> http://www.tourhosts.com.au/testdev/foss4g/
> A)
> Top Banner:
> Generally OK, however:
> - I wonder if it's a bit too tall (taking more vertical
>   space than really needed)
> - If it couldn't convey more information(e.g. the 2007
>   page banner, in addition to 'some images' and the logo
>   includes a 'message', the full name of the conference,
>   and the conference dates: http://www.foss4g2007.org/)
Dates & location are important, but they have not been set in stone yet.
(An issue which is concerning me)
> - Any "items" in the banner, such as images or text,
>   should be links back to the Home page
> B)
> Left Column:
> (I'm assuming the 3-column layout used by these pages)
> B-1)
> Left Side Menu:
> Generally OK, however, how will it look when categories
> need 'subcategories'? For example, what if "Program"
> needs "Workshops", "Labs", "Presentations", etc?
> Should the order of the existing menu items be changed?
> (e.g. Committee doesn't need to be 'at the top')
> B-2)
> Contact Us Block on Left Side:
> I don't think this belongs here at all. There should be
> a separate "Contact Us" page(but maybe "Contacts" is
> better? That's what 2007 used), with a corresponding link
> in the Menu.
+1
> C)
> Middle Column:
> No general comments.
> D)
> Right Column:
> Will all pages have a 'right column', or perhaps only
> some pages? For example, for 2007, most pages did not
> have a right column, but the Home and Sponsorship pages
> did, where it was used to display the sponsor logos.
> As for the current "Expression of Interest" right
> column, get rid of it - it doesn't belong there, even
> at this stage (more about this below).
> E)
> Page Footer:
> This div is too tall for the information it contains.
> Get rid of the copyright notice. Use the footer for
> some 'contact info', like what was done for 2007.
> Use a personal email address, not "Webmaster".
> Get rid of the "Website validate XHTML and CSS" text
> (not because the pages don't validate, but because it
> is unnecessary to advertise this).
+1
> F)
> Page Title:
> The page's Title element should change from page to page
> (not always be the same as the Home page) in order
> to aid visitors who may bookmark specific pages.
+1
> G)
> The default "404 Not Found" behavior for typical
> 'root page names' such as "index.htm" and "index.html"
> should be a redirect to "default.asp", if that is the
> name of the website's home page.
+1
> H)
> All pages should validate to the required standards.
> The current Home page has 27 errors for the XHTML,
> and the CSS has 1 error and 23 warnings. I didn't
> do any accessibility checks, or check other pages.
> I)
> If this website content is "incomplete", which we know
> it will be for the next while, do not include 'essentially
> empty' placeholder pages (e.g. Program, Social, Sponsorship,
> Accommodation, Registration). Only add such pages when there
> is 'real content'. The Home page can convey the "watch this
> space" message to site visitors (but don't use vague terms
> like 'coming soon').
-1
When someone is looking for specific content like the program, it is
good for them to know that the content doesn't exist rather than
wondering whether they just can't find it.
> J)
> Committee page:
> Remove the word "Local".
> How about a map showing where the committee members
> are located?
> It's a webpage, so include links where possible (e.g. see the
> 2007 About page: http://www.foss4g2007.org/about_foss4g/).
> I think it would look better if each person had:
> - name
> - "job title"?(i.e. not 'committee title')
> - company name
> - city/region/country
> - possibly "committee title"(Chair is fine, but do we
>   also want to add things like Workshop Coordinator, etc?)
> I tidied up the OSGeo section of the governance wiki page,
> and updated my info as an example:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Governance
> K)
> "Contacts" page.
> Add a 'Contacts' (or 'Contact Us') page, including a form
> that people can fill out. Mandatory parts of the form
> would be email address, subject, and 'comments', but other
> fields, if they exist, such as Title, Organization, etc.
> would be optional. Don't default "Title" to "Mr".
> L)
> Add a "Stay Informed" page.
> There may be a better name than 'Stay Informed', and it's
> likely that this page should be mentioned/linked from some
> text on the Home page (and maybe the "Contacts" page?).
> This page would cover any means that people can use to
> stay informed about FOSS4G2009. For now, the minimum would
> be to have a paragraph about this mailing list (and perhaps
> also the Wiki?). As they are developed, other things can be
> added. Some possibilities are:
> - mention of any other mailing lists, such as a FOSS4G2009
>   Announcements mailing list
> - info about a "FOSS4G2009 blog"
> - an RSS feed of 'website updates' (i.e. when new pages are
>   added, or new content added to existing pages)
> - an RSS feed similar to 2007 for Presentations, if there is
>   to be a community review
+1 (for the moment we can set up a foss4g-announce email list)